NEW DELHI, Feb 22 (Reuters) - India has delayed plans to send a trade delegation to Washington this week, chiefly because of uncertainty after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump, a source in its trade ministry said on Sunday.
One of the first concrete reactions among Asian nations to the decision, it follows Trump’s move on Saturday to levy a temporary tariff of 15%, the maximum allowed by law, on U.S. imports from all countries, following the court’s rejection.
Get the latest news from India and how it matters to the world with the Reuters India File newsletter. Sign up here.
“The decision to defer the visit was taken after discussions between officials of the two countries,” said the source, who sought anonymity as the matter is a sensitive one. “No new date for the visit has been decided.”
The delay came mainly from the uncertainty over tariffs following Friday’s judgment, the source added.
The delegation had been set to leave on Sunday for talks to finalise an interim trade deal, after both countries agreed on a framework for Washington to cut punitive tariffs of 25% on some Indian exports linked to New Delhi’s Russian oil purchases.
U.S. tariffs on Indian goods were set to be cut to 18%, while India agreed to buy U.S. items worth $500 billion over five years, ranging from energy supplies to aircraft and parts, precious metals and technology products.
India’s opposition Congress party had called for the interim pact to be put on hold, urging a renegotiation and questioning Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision to issue a joint statement before the court’s ruling.
On Saturday, the Indian trade ministry said it was studying the implications of the judgment and later U.S. announcements.
Last week, Trade Minister Piyush Goyal said the interim pact could take effect in April, after outstanding issues were resolved during the delegation’s visit to Washington.
Reporting by Manoj Kumar; Editing by Clarence Fernandez
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab
Suggested Topics:
Emerging Markets
Share
X
Facebook
Linkedin
Email
Link
Purchase Licensing Rights
Manoj Kumar
Thomson Reuters
Manoj Kumar is a Senior Economics Correspondent based in New Delhi. He covers macroeconomy with a focus on India’s economic policies for manufacturing, trade and the rural economy. He has written on a broad range of topics including India’s annual budgets, taxation, inflation, youth unemployment, protests and the impact of government policies on people. Previously, he worked with the PTI news agency and The Tribune newspaper covering ministries of finance, commerce & industry, and petroleum besides parliament.
Email
X
This page may contain third-party content, which is provided for information purposes only (not representations/warranties) and should not be considered as an endorsement of its views by Gate, nor as financial or professional advice. See Disclaimer for details.
India delays U.S. trade talks after Supreme Court rejects Trump tariffs, source says
NEW DELHI, Feb 22 (Reuters) - India has delayed plans to send a trade delegation to Washington this week, chiefly because of uncertainty after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump, a source in its trade ministry said on Sunday.
One of the first concrete reactions among Asian nations to the decision, it follows Trump’s move on Saturday to levy a temporary tariff of 15%, the maximum allowed by law, on U.S. imports from all countries, following the court’s rejection.
Get the latest news from India and how it matters to the world with the Reuters India File newsletter. Sign up here.
“The decision to defer the visit was taken after discussions between officials of the two countries,” said the source, who sought anonymity as the matter is a sensitive one. “No new date for the visit has been decided.”
The delay came mainly from the uncertainty over tariffs following Friday’s judgment, the source added.
The delegation had been set to leave on Sunday for talks to finalise an interim trade deal, after both countries agreed on a framework for Washington to cut punitive tariffs of 25% on some Indian exports linked to New Delhi’s Russian oil purchases.
U.S. tariffs on Indian goods were set to be cut to 18%, while India agreed to buy U.S. items worth $500 billion over five years, ranging from energy supplies to aircraft and parts, precious metals and technology products.
India’s opposition Congress party had called for the interim pact to be put on hold, urging a renegotiation and questioning Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision to issue a joint statement before the court’s ruling.
On Saturday, the Indian trade ministry said it was studying the implications of the judgment and later U.S. announcements.
Last week, Trade Minister Piyush Goyal said the interim pact could take effect in April, after outstanding issues were resolved during the delegation’s visit to Washington.
Reporting by Manoj Kumar; Editing by Clarence Fernandez
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab
Share
X
Facebook
Linkedin
Email
Link
Purchase Licensing Rights
Manoj Kumar
Thomson Reuters
Manoj Kumar is a Senior Economics Correspondent based in New Delhi. He covers macroeconomy with a focus on India’s economic policies for manufacturing, trade and the rural economy. He has written on a broad range of topics including India’s annual budgets, taxation, inflation, youth unemployment, protests and the impact of government policies on people. Previously, he worked with the PTI news agency and The Tribune newspaper covering ministries of finance, commerce & industry, and petroleum besides parliament.
Email
X